1. Travel

Bedbugs Bytes

By March 23, 2006

I have never shared a sheet with a bedbug, myself, and I've been in some sketchy, sketchy places where scuttling in corners by more-than-four-legged things was a given (edited to add: in fact, I had to step light to avoid a cockroach in my London hotel's bathroom this very morning).

As part of normal dual living in budget digs, I've roomed with lizards on walls and ceilings, of course (gotta love geckos); palmetto bugs in my hair, you bet. Spiders, ants in my sleeping bag (a whole column in Joshua Tree one night) -- all totally standard. If you're living on the even slightly adventurous side of the road, you've probably slept with it, even if you can't name it.

Bedbugs, though -- ewww. That's a horse of a different bite. And they're popping up (double ewww) in hotels everywhere, including some pretty posh places.

PestControlCanada.com says of bedbug hotel infestations: "The stigma attached to these parasites is influencing some hotels and other accommodations to ignore infestations or treat them without professional help. Lack of professional treatment comes with great risks, notably the possibility of litigation."

The folks at Hotelchatter.com have been posting bedbug stories with a vengeance for a while now (I've been following it, and I did look closely under the covers in a Brussels hotel last week after seeing a suspicious spot, thanks to Hotelchatter.com's friendly reporting on the bedbug-eyeballing details), and Dateline NBC recently featured Hotelchatter's quest for the downlow on the buggers' current residences and travel habits. If you've got a story, let 'em give it some lovin' hate.

Bed bug photo copyright Pest Control Canada

Student Travel blog home
Comments
June 26, 2006 at 2:25 pm
(1) Xenia says:

I think it’s safe to say now that hotels are not the only bed bug infested places to worry about. My husband and I went to a cabin up by the springs in colorado and we were eaten alive by bed bugs that night.. It didn’t take until 1:30 am for both of us to know that we were both itching badly.. We thought this was strange, so we turned the lights on and checked the bed.. To our suprise the entire bed was ridden with bed bugs, as well as the bed posts and the table tops.. Today some 2 days later, I have welts all over my arms, neck chest and ankles.. I itch like you couldn’t believe.. The doctor gave me some cortizone, antibiotics and something for scabbies (just in case they were there also). We saw the bed bugs and took video and pictures of the blood sucking parasites. Please start posting cabins as well, as they are like hotels..

June 30, 2006 at 1:26 am
(2) studenttravel says:

That sounds absolutely awful. Yow – I live in Colorado (Steamboat Springs, where we have lots of springs and, I hope, no bedbugs). Where was this place — which springs?

January 15, 2008 at 11:34 pm
(3) Tina says:

I have bed bugs in my own bed. when it just started i thought i was allergic to a laundry detergents that i just changed at that time so i stoped using them, then i started itching more and more each morning. i thought i had some contageos diseases until i found a bug on my bed and showed to my friend who then said it was a bed bug.
I live in appt and there are 3 other apts in this building. I have horrible bumps and rash like bumpy skin on my arms and legs. It’s horrible

March 12, 2008 at 12:10 am
(4) BedBugAnnihilator says:

Hi,

There are so many treatments, but the simple of what you need to do; Get rid of the bed. If its a wooden frame with nail holes, consider ditching it too. Vacuum. Steam clean. Put a fogger in your house; the kind that permeates the floor moldings. Treat the carpet with flea powder – this provides protection for months and will kill the eggs. Then, sleep in a sleeping bag or an air mattress and do it for months to ascertain that you’ve kicked the problem.

March 13, 2008 at 11:38 am
(5) nobugs says:

More on how to avoid bed bugs when traveling here:

April 1, 2008 at 6:33 pm
(6) Robert says:

Never even knew I had them.Thought it was malnutrition or lack of vitamins.Body and stamina took a pretty good beating.Ruined a two-thousand dollar bed set-up.Had to trash everything;even the bedframe.Hopefully,I don’t have to spray the appartment!

August 11, 2008 at 5:16 pm
(7) Annette says:

Robert — your e-mail is the first I’ve encountered wherein you mentioned “malnutrition . . lack of vitamins” which caught my attention. I’ve been battling a red, itchy, bumps rash for 3 months, been to doctor, dermatologist, etc. and no one can say what it is. However, I have lost about 10 lbs, gone through extensive blood tests, etc. and there is also no explanation for the weight loss. I’ve just recently come accross the idea of “bed bug” bites – things I’m reading sound very similar, although the first thing I did when confronted with this rash 3 months ago was wash/bleach all my bedding, including my feather mattress and pillows. None of the doctors, allergists, can say what it is, only what it isn’t . . .scabbies, shingles, lice, even though I’ve been on all the steriod creams, antihistimes, Predisone, etc. nothing has made the rash disappear -only temporary relief from the itching. Did you get a satisfactory result with some type of treatment once you realized it was bed bug bites?

September 27, 2008 at 6:57 am
(8) tripton says:

Sorry to hear that you have lost weight due to bedbug bite.It has become a general concern.you can get more details of removing bedbugs in http://www.bedbugbureau.com which is friendly and suggests various steps to disinfect them.We applied them in our apartment and don’t find a bug after that.you can try for s

Kathleen said on 10/7/08: You can also find all the bedbug info you need right here on this very site. :-)

September 29, 2008 at 2:33 am
(9) Freaked in our home says:

hi! in our home, one of our roommates found bed bugs in his bed. we promptly steam cleaned, replaced the bed, filled in all cracks on the walls, and repainted the room.

we also vacuumed the entire house and washed his linens with hot water and placed his pillows in the dryer.

we also inspected the other rooms and found no bed bugs.

a couple of hours ago, i found a bed bug on my baby’s cloth diaper that i brought in from the kitchen to our room.

we inspected our mattress again and found nothing. we vacuumed our room again.

what should i do?

Kathleen said on 10/7/08: Maybe you might have to call in the big guns — an exterminator. I’m just a journalist, not a bug pro giving advice, but all the research I’ve done would indicate that you miught need the pros at this point. However, there’s more advice here you could check out first. Good luck.

October 6, 2008 at 6:04 am
(10) educated consumer says:

Tripton’s comment above is a “shill”. He’s a fake hired by the company to make you think he’s a satisfied client. Just type bedbugbureau or killbedbugs (same company, hmm, why do they have to have two names?) into google and you will see what I mean.

October 12, 2008 at 11:06 am
(11) wheatly says:

Bedbugs were causing a problem to me for a long time. couldn’t find a solution toit. stumbled upon deadbedbugs.com providing a package of treatment against them found it useful.

October 5, 2009 at 8:27 pm
(12) bugbuster says:

There is a focused and thorough guide to protecting yourself while you travel here: http://www.bedbuginfo.com/bed-bug-protection-tips-for-travel.php.
The about.com information is great but sometimes the way the site is organized makes it difficult to quickly find specific information. Also, although his comment is way back, Robert talks about trashing his bed setup and then hoping he doesn’t have to spray. Not wise. Simply getting rid of the bed doesn’t get rid of bed bugs. Also, if you live in an apartment, chances are you have certain rights. Inform your property manager of a possible infestation.