- Lonely Planet Language guides for iPhone -- These own the phrasebook world. Bow down to them. Like a talking pocket translator, but way mo' better with the power of Lonely Planet behind useful phrases for backpackers (like, "Donde esta la cantina?" rather than "Donde esta la cruise ship's lido deck?").
- Best Travel Apps for iPhone from About.com's Susan Breslow Sardone -- some excellent choices and ideas here, like using the iPhone's flashlight for map reading.
- Kindle for the iPhone - Read the best travel books of 2009 while you're out there seeing it...
- NY Times Picks for Best iPhone Travel Applications -- some fun ones here, and some costing some money...
- Facebook for iPhone -- what else is there to say?
- Urbanspoon -- everybody's dahling for restaurant recommendations.
- Currency -- yep, a cool currency converter.
Next up: subway maps. Need 'em, want 'em. Look for 'em by 2012. In the meantime, what's your favorite iPhone travel application?
Unlocking the iPhoneWhile we haven't unlocked an iPhone yet ourselves, word is that these are the ways to unlock the iPhone. Caution: you may void your warranty and total the phone. Another option, of course, is to buy an already unlocked iPhone on eBay.
- How to Unlock an iPhone -- to use an iPhone with other SIM cards for other countries, you'll need to unlock the iPhone, and the iPhone is not generally sold unlocked. Therefore, you'll have to buy an iPhone (like on eBay) and use this hack for a 3g and this site for an iPhone 4 to jailbreak the iPhone.
Learn more about unlocking GSM phones: